Monday, March 23, 2020

NO BINDING QUILTS - #1 for EASY :)

Quilts are so fun!  There are so many options and different kinds to make.  Quilting is my favorite kind of sewing :)  

No binding quilt:
This is the easiest and quickest kind of way to make a quilt.  Cut 2 fabric pieces the size you want (or use a quilt top you have peiced), and cut batting to match.  Lay fabric pieces, right sides together, and then lay batting on top.

Pin all around.  I like to put the pins far enough away from the edges that I don't have to worry about moving them as I sew around.  I also like to put to pins going the opposite direction, like a gate, to remind me to leave an opening for turning.  I start at one end of my "gate" and sew around the quilt until I reach the other side of the "gate".  



It's easier to sew if the batting is on the bottom, where the feed dogs can help push it through and it's not getting caught in the presser foot :)  I like to do a 5/8" seam allowance.




Clip corners and any overhanging batting.  


Turn quilt right side out.  Push corners out all the way.  

Pin opening shut.  Stitch with about 1/4" topstitch.  Yay!!!!  No binding!!!  :)  


Can either machine quilt or tie. This batting says it needs to be quilted or tied every 4 inches. 



Self-binding quilt:

Binding quilt:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sewing a Mask

  Supplies needed:  scrap fabric, elastic It is helpful to have 2 different fabrics, so that when your are wearing it,  you always know whic...